How long does it take for a divorce case to expire in California? 8 Answers as of September 06, 2012

I'm wondering how long until the divorce case would be dropped, with or without activity from either side. I filed in April 2011, he responded Feb 2012. I've been having some trouble with the paperwork, and can't afford lawyer costs. What should I do?

ADELMAN & SEIDE, LLP
ADELMAN & SEIDE, LLP | GEORGE N. SEIDE
Five years without a child support order. See if your county has a family law facilitator in the court house. Most counties do and they will help you with your paperwork.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
Cases will be dismissed after 5 years. Try a self-help clinic at your court or legal aid.
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
You should seek the assistance of the family law facilitator to determine what you need to do to complete the dissolution. You can then consult a family law attorney if needed to assist you in understanding how to do the paperwork without the expense of retaining that attorney. Most attorneys have low or no cost consultations available.
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
Have you considered contacting Legal Aide to assist you with the paperwork.
Go to your court's self-help clinic for assistance from a volunteer attorney. The Court can dismiss a case after five (5) years if it hasn't been brought to judgment within that time.
    Go to the family law self help center in your area for assistance. There is at least one in each County at one of the courthouses (and often more than one court will have one).
    Law Office of Bernal Peter Ojeda | Bernal Peter Ojeda
    You have 5 years to finish the case.
    The Law Office of Erin Farley
    The Law Office of Erin Farley | Erin Farley
    Call the clerk of the court and ask for the status of your case. Have your case number handy. Generally, the court will have automatically set some kind of case management conference - find out when that date is, and make sure you are present in the courtroom. These are not scary hearings, it is just a chance for the judge to check in and see what is happening. If the judge asks, be honest and say you do not know what to do next. The court can then point you toward resources. As a bonus, at these appearances, many courts will also have volunteer attorneys to help unrepresented litigants proceed.