How long does it take for an I-130 petition for an unmarried child of a U.S citizen to be approved? 12 Answers as of August 03, 2012

father has just been naturalized and filed for the I-130 petition and has received the receipt from USCIS as notice of action

Perez-Jenkins Law, LLC | Patricia Perez-Jenkins
Applications for unmarried child over 21 years old depend on the country they are coming from. The I-130 is only the first step and it may take a while for that first step to be approved. One must wait for a visa to be available to complete the process. You can check the state department website and look for the current visa bulletin to give you an idea of how long the wait will be. In August they will be processing applications made before 08/01/2005 for all other countries not counting China, India, Mexico or the Phillippines which can have longer wait periods. As you can see your child will be waiting for a long while.
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
The approval process takes about 1 year. However, I would guess that it is not the visa petition approval time you want to know but how soon can the beneficiary come to the U.S. If an I-130 petition gets approved, the beneficiary will have to wait for his/her priority date to become current. Each year, only 23400 unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens who have I-130petitions approved receive immigrant visas. It means that the person who filed an I-130 petition for his child now will have to wait several years before the child gets a visa, to be exact, 19 years if the child is a citizen of Mexico, 15 years for a Filipino, or 7 years for everyone else.
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
If you are under 21 and in the US with some proof of entry into the US, you can process your I-130 in the US with the I-485 in 4 months. If you are outside the US, it can take 6 to 8 months for your interview at the US Embassy.
Law Office of Michael P. Gianelli, LLC
Law Office of Michael P. Gianelli, LLC | Michael Gianelli
It depends on the service center. You can check the case status on the USCIS webpage.
Hanna Legal, LLC
Hanna Legal, LLC | Jen Hanna
If the child is under the age of 21, it should take between 6 and 12 months for the entire process. If over 21, then it depends on the country of origin, and wait times tend to be lengthy - generally at least 7 years.
    It all depends on the age of the child. If under 18, then an I-485 packet should have been filed; under 21 same thing assuming the right condition applied, i.e., protection under 245i; entry with a visa, etc. Otherwise, then go to our website www.worldesquire.com and click on USCIS UPDATES and then click on visa bulletin and follow the instructions.
    Law Office of Rebecca White
    Law Office of Rebecca White | Rebecca White
    You can check processing times on the uscis.gov website. However, it is important to understand that the approval of an I-130 is not the same as a visa being available. You will want to review the Department of State Visa Bulletin as well.
    Law Office of Morgan L. Place (MP Law Office) | Morgan L. Place
    The answer to this question will demand on a number of factors, but the most recent estimate places the timetable at approximately 28 months for processing out of the California Service Center. The national average is about 15 months, which is a much shorter time frame. The national goal, however, is five (5) months.
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    Depend on the age of the child. If under 21 several months. If older than 21 several years.
    NAYAR & MCINTYRE LLP
    NAYAR & MCINTYRE LLP | MARIA MCINTYRE
    If the child is under 21, it can take 3-6 months for the I-130 to be approved. If the child is 21 or older, it depends on what country the child is from. If from Mexico or the Philippines, it can take approximately 18 years. All other countries, it's currently taking approximately 7 years.
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC
    Law Office of Pho Ethan Tran PLLC | Pho Ethan Tran
    According to immigration website, it is taking about 4-6 months to adjudicate I-130's.
    It depends on the age of the child and the child's country of birth. Please provide those details and I will respond with the more precise answer.