How long does the I130 petition process take? 11 Answers as of March 13, 2012

I am US citizen and would like to file I-130 for my sister (37 years old single) in South Korea. How long does the I-130 petition process take, and how long will it be until my sister can come to the U.S?

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
It takes about a decade.
It is about a 10-12 year process for a sibling of a US citizen to qualify for an immigrant visa because of the visa backlogs for that family-based preference category. It is not going to be the most practical way for her to immigrate. You should look into employment-based options for her if she has a higher education degree (bachelor's or master's).
Carol Beth Wolfenson | Carol Beth Wolfenson
Sister for sister is approximately a 10 yr wait. If your sister has a university degree, it may be possible for her to come on an H-1B visa
Bell, Nunnally & Martin, LLP | Karen-Lee Pollak
It will take between 3 and 5 months to adjudicate the petition but in the category your sister is in there is a backlog in available visas. It will take at least 10 years for a visa to be available to her to come live here.
The FB-4 classification is backlogged about 10 or more years.
    Law Offices of David Stoller, PA | David H. Stoller
    Important thing here is to separate the processing of the I-130 from the waiting period to have a visa available which your sister can use to immigrate to the US. The processing of the form I-130 begins upon its receipt of the I-130 and this will set a "priority date." The I-130 will generally be processed in 6-12 months. However, approval of the petition (i.e. Form I-130) DOES NOT mean that your sister is ready to come to the US. Rather, her priority date must become current before a visa number can be issued to her and she is permitted to come to the US. Currently, visas in this category are being processed for applications filed in or before June 2000. The Department of State publishes a report called a Visa Bulletin every month and it is this Visa Bulletin which tells us when a visa is available in the visa category for your sister. Often times, petitioners and applicants are confused about the difference between the I-130 processing and the visa availability date. Approval of the I-130 does not mean that a visa is available, rather the visa must be approved AND a visa must be made available before your sister would be eligible to immigrate to the US. The answer to your question is that it currently takes upwards of 12 years for a visa to become available n this category. My advice is to file the petition, get a spot in the line and hope for the best.
    You should set aside 7 to 12 years for anything to happen in terms of her coming to the US. And this is just an educated guess since no one really knows how long it takes; it depends on too many things. One thing you want to do is to go to the US Dpt of State website and check the visa bulletin. Under the family based category look for the F4 category for your country and that will tell you what priority dates they are processing. Good luck!
    U.S. Immigration Law Group, LLP | Lisa D. Ramirez
    If you filed the I-130 today, it would take approximately 12.5 years before your sister will be able to immigrate to the U.S.
    The I-130 petition process takes approximately 6 months. However, the petition for your sister will be considered a preference petition and she will wait about 8-10 years for an immigrant visa to be available.
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
    Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
    The USCIS may adjudicate an I-130 relatively quickly (often in 4 - 8 months), but the main issue for a U.S. Citizen sponsoring a sibling is "when will a visa become available?" The backlog in the relevant visa category - Family-based Fourth Preference - is quite long. Although the monthly Visa Bulletin issued by the State Department may make it appear to be a shorter time, less than a year's worth of backlog can be expected to be cleared in a year, and so it is likely to take 15-20 years for that visa category to "become current" (and the beneficiary would NOT be entitled to come to or remain in the U.S. while that application remains pending). For this reason a petition from a U.S. citizen sibling rarely is a worthwhile strategy and it almost always is best to explore other immigration options.
    HADJIAN LAW P.C. | ZARI HADJIAN
    The approval comes first but no visa will be issued until a visa # is available, which could be more than 10years.