How long does the eviction process take? 7 Answers as of July 13, 2011

How long does the eviction process take? I'm on a month to month lease. My lease is up at the end of July. I have been asked to vacate the property at that time. Now my land lord is saying I have to move out immediately due to non payment. I have paid partial rent and will continue to do so. What are my legal options?

Frances R. Johnson
Frances R. Johnson | Frances R. Johnson
You can contact Legal Aid or Colorado Legal Services to see if free legal advice and/or assistance is available to you. When you receive legal notice from the Court and a sheriff is at your door to remove you, that is when you must vacate the property.
Your landlord can give you a three day notice to pay and then get you right into court. It could take as little as 11 days. But, it will probably take quite a bit longer.
The Coyle Law Office
The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
If you haven't paid your full rental amount, your landlord does have the option of starting eviction proceedings. The process often takes anywhere from 2-6 weeks; and judges usually find that the rent continues to accrue as long as you are still in the apartment, so it will probably be in your best interest to make whatever rental payments you can in order to keep the final judgment amount as low as possible.
Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr.
Law Offices of John J. Ferry, Jr. | John J. Ferry, Jr.
Eviction can take weeks or months, depending on whether or not the tenant appeals the order of eviction and posts rent money with the prothonotary. If you believe you are in compliance with the lease, be sure to show up at the hearing when the landlord files a complaint for possession. You can then present your evidence in court.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
How long does the eviction process take? It's a summary proceeding very fast. What are my legal options? You have no right to pay less than the full agreed upon rent. You have few legal options. You are going to get evicted and a judgment for any arrearages will be entered against you that will affect your credit score.