How long does a divorce take? 8 Answers as of March 17, 2011

My husband left 2 yrs ago and I recently filed for a divorce, how long those it take to end the marriage? What are the steps that we are supposed to take?

Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP
Goodman, Dicus, and Teinert, LLP | Paul M. Teinert
A divorce will take a approx. 6 months at a minimum and potentially years if there are many contested issues. As for the process, first, you'll need to file the petition and serve it on your spouse. From that point your spouse will have 30 days to respond. Next you'll need to work to divide property, establish a parenting plan and support (only if applicable). These can either be agreed upon or tried in court. Once everything issue is ordered the court will enter a judgment for dissolution.
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
If you handle things in an amicable fashion, it could be done in just a few months. If not, then it could take years depending on the issues involved. If you have any further questions, please let me know.
The time it takes to get a divorce is largely based upon the issues involved in the divorce and whether or not the other party cooperates in the divorce. The shortest it could take would be six (6) months after the other party is served with process. If there are property, custody, visitation or child support or spousal support issues involved, it could take substantially longer, perhaps 1-2 years or so. The next step after filing is having your husband served. Thereafter, both parties need to exchange preliminary (and ultimately, final) declarations of disclosure. If your husband doesn't respond to the Petition, you may need to request that the Court enter his default, and if that is accomplished, you may have to do without your husband's declarations of disclosure and proceed to get a divorce by way of a default hearing. Once the parties have exchanged their declarations of disclosure (or even before then), each party can seek "discovery" of information and documents from the other party, and if necessary, from others, through formal (or informal) discovery procedures. Thereafter, if the parties agree on the issues, the case can be resolved via a Stipulated Judgment. If the parties don't agree on the issues, a trial will have to be set. If there are significant issues involved in your case, you would be best served by retaining an experienced Family Law Attorney to represent you in your divorce.
Your divorce can be finalized in six months from the date you serve the other party. I would be happy to help you with your case. Please contact me for a free consultation.
It takes 6 months from the time you "serve" the "respondent" with the Petition for Marriage Dissolution. As for the steps one must take to finalize their divorce, that depends on the facts of the case. Best if you call a family law lawyer near you to discuss the facts of your case and what you need to do to get your case resolved. Good luck!
    Maclean Chung Law Firm
    Maclean Chung Law Firm | G. Thomas MacLean Jr.
    A divorce in California takes at least six months from the time the other spouse is served to finalize. The steps you have to take depend on whether it is an uncontested or default matter, or if it is a contested matter that will require a trial. If you are unsure what steps you need to take with your specific case, you should consult with a divorce attorney.
    In California, there is a waiting period of at least 6 months. However, a divorce can take longer. This is just a minimum waiting period.
    Goldberg Jones
    Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
    It will take at least 6 months for you to be single, but you could have the paperwork completed much sooner if you get cooperation from your spouse. Or if you do not push the process forward it can take much longer.