How long does a daughter have to probate a will after the death of her father and can her mother file for her if she is sick and unable to do so? 16 Answers as of April 02, 2014

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Nathan Wagner
Law Office of Nathan Wagner | Nathan J. Wagner
If she is unable to probate the will, someone else can do it for her. The court will appoint someone else as personal representative if she is unable or unwilling to do it (even if the will names her as the executor). On the other hand, she could wait until she recovers. However, her father may have owned something that needs to be distributed quickly, and it becomes more difficult to administer the estate if she waits too long.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/2/2014
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
There is no time limit; I have seen probates of estates many years old. Anyone with an interest can file; the Probate Code sets forth the priority.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/1/2014
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
In Nevada the will is supposed to be filed within 30 days of the date of death. Any interested person can start the probate process.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/1/2014
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
There is no time limitation on when a probate can be started, however,except the real estate, assets tend to disappear if the probate isn't started promptly. Any person can start a probate, regardless of whether they had a relationship with the deceased. It's not unusual for a creditor of the deceased to open the probate.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 4/1/2014
James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
There is not time limit. I strongly encourage you to speak with a probate attorney and get help. Mom can step into daughter's shoes but there are procedures to follow. Additionally, if there is a contingent named executor, that person would have priority over mom. Lots to consider, I strongly suggest you speak with an attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/1/2014
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    It depends on what needs to be transferred. In most cases, delay is bad property is unproductive and empty, investments are untended. There's no reason to wait. Yes, mother can serve as personal representative file daughters waiver of her right to serve along with the petition.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 4/1/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    In Idaho, the statute of limitations for probate is 3 years. Is the daughter the personal representative? Then she needs to resign as personal representative and let another relative file the will for probate. If mom is divorced from dad, she probably doesn't have standing. I think somebody needs to talk with a local probate attorney to see what the options are.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 4/1/2014
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    The person in possession of the Will must promptly file the Will with the Clerk of the Circuit Court within which the decedent resided at the time of death. The nominated executor should open the probate estate within 30 days. Thereafter, any interested person can petition to open the estate. The interested person can nominate any person to act as the personal representative. If your illness prevents you from actively conducting your responsibilities as representative then you should decline the office and let another act as representative.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 4/1/2014
    Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
    There is no time limitation to file for probate. And anyone that has an interest in the estate can file probate, i.e., spouse, child, siblings, parents, etc.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 4/1/2014
    Law Office Of Victor Waid
    Law Office Of Victor Waid | Victor Waid
    Yes mother can file for her; suggest you seek a probate attorney to assist you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/1/2014
    The Law Office of David L. Leon
    The Law Office of David L. Leon | David L. Leon
    You have up to four years from the date of death to file for probate, though sooner is better. If she's too sick, then anyone interested in the estate can file.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 4/1/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    See an attorney, if she cannot serve another should be appointed.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/1/2014
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    Anyone can file the will. However, the proposed Personal Representative must petition the court to be appointed. Again, anyone can submit the petition. An attorney normally does this for the petitioner. Once appointed, the estate enters probate. The next key step is giving notice to creditors to file a claim.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 4/1/2014
    Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
    There's no real limit on starting a probate in California. Usually the executor starts the process, but her mother could help her. There are some simplified procedures for small estates, you should talk with a local legal aid service or consult an attorney to find out what you need to do.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/1/2014
    Sebby Law Office
    Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
    Any person or organization with an interest in the estate can file an estate petition in probate court. The petition should be filed as soon as possible after the death but a few months delay doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't result in any harm or loss to the assets of the estate.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 4/1/2014
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    There is no deadline for filing probate, although there are some companies that will send the assets to the Michigan unclaimed property division of the Department of Treasury, if they are not claimed within a certain period of time. Yes, the mother can act for the daughter, if she is unable to do so. This is an easy thing to accomplish. Probate is not difficult and does not need to be unduly expensive.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/1/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney