How long does a class 1 misdemeanor stay on your record? 9 Answers as of October 28, 2011

When I was 17, I was caught shoplifting and I had to go to court. I was put on probation and had to pay a fine. I'm 20 now and I'm trying to get in to college but they do a background check. I wanted to know if it would show up on there and if so how long will it be up and what are my chances of getting into that college if thats on my record?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
Yes, it will be there unless your plea was part of a diversionary program which would seal your record.
Were you charged as a juvenile or as an adult? If it was as a juvenile, then your record is sealed from the public. If as an adult, were you given a diversion program option or HYTA status which would keep the charge off of your public record? If not, all crimes that enter on your record will stay there forever unless sealed or expunged. If eligible for an expungement, you will have to wait at least five years before applying.
Thank you for your inquiry In Michigan, there are not "class 1" misdemeanors. Any misdemeanor can be expunged after 5 years if there are no other offenses on your record. In your case, the better result would have been a deferred sentence or a YTA plea. Since it is long past that point, there is really nothing you can do save for a motion to vacate the original plea. You would need to consult with an attorney to discuss this option to see whether this is possible.
Do not know how it will affect your chances of getting into college, but it will be there forever unless, 6 years after the date of conviction AND you have no more criminal convictions, you can file a petition in the court that convicted you to have it expunged. That means no more criminal convictions whether felonies or misdemeanors (Minor in possession of alcohol, driving while intoxicated etc.)
A criminal record is for life. However, after 5 years if there is only one conviction, you could file a motion with the court seeking to have it expunged. As for it affecting admission to college, that would be up to the college and their admission policies.