How long does the citizenship immigration process take? 8 Answers as of January 19, 2011

How long will it take for someone to get their citizenship? And do they need an attorney to apply or can do they do it themselves?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Process is 4-6 months in most areas. We recommend you have an attorney to smooth the way through the process and make sure the steps happen timely (fingerprints, interview, Oath) especially if becoming a citizen at the soonest possible date is important to you. If you have any issues of good moral character or an extensive travel history during the qualifying period then you definitely should have an attorney advise you.

If interested in a fee quote send me an email directly and I will advise fees, forms and procedure.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/19/2011
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Citizenship requires a green card first and 3/5 years of residency depending on how the person got the green card in the first place. (3 years = marriage green card, 5 years = all other green cards). If qualified, the applicant will be sworn in as a US citizen within 6 months of submitting the application.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/17/2011
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
In most states it takes 6 months to process an N-400, Application for Naturalization. While it is possible to complete this form and go through this process without the assistance of an attorney, many find the questions on the Application confusing and believe that they are taking great risk in attempting to do this process on their own. The cost for legal assistance with this process is also minimal, we charge $950 to prepare the application and then prepare the applicant for the interview. We do not typically attend the interview unless there are unique issues or problems with the case such as a criminal record, or complex immigration history, because it really isn't necessary. Our clients generally feel that the $950 investment is well worth it in terms of the reduce aggravation on their parts, and the peace of mind that it provides them knowing that everything has been properly completed, as well as what to expect when they appear for their interview.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 1/17/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
I assume that the person is already a Legal Permanent Resident. If so, and they are married to a U.S. Citizen for three years they can apply 90 days before the 3 year anniversary of becoming a LPR. If they are not married to a U.S. Citizen they have to be a LPR for 5 years before they file. There are also special programs for current and former members of the U.S. military.

Once a person files for Naturalization on Form N-400 it generally takes about 5-9 months in most parts of the country from the date you file until the date you are sworn in.

While most people can do it themselves, if you have any issues (such as previous immigration violations, or arrests or convictions) you should seek the advise of an immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/17/2011
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
It takes approximately 3 to 4 months. It would be advisable to have a attorney prepare the application package to ensure it's done correctly.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/17/2011
    Calderón Seguin PLC
    Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
    This question depends on where the person lives. Some areas are very quick and some are not. I would say the average is between 6 and 12 months. Many people do this process without an attorney successfully. It really depends on whether there are any complications such as criminal arrests or long absences from the U.S.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 1/17/2011
    Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
    Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
    The answers is depends. The processing time depends on service center's work load. You can check on for answer to this question. As far as whether you should hire an attorney, it is always wiser to hire one to avoid denial.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 1/16/2011
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    I am not sure where you live. However, most of my clients are scheduled at the Los Angeles Office within 3-4 months after filing. The Oath ceremony is scheduled about two months later. If you answer yes to any of the questions in the N-400 form, you should definitely speak to an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/16/2011
Click to View More Answers: