How long does the car insurance company have to provide me with a rental car after an accident deeming my car totaled? 13 Answers as of November 20, 2012

I was in a car accident where my car was totaled out. The person that hit me accepted full liability for the accident and now I am being told by the insurance company that they will only pay for my rental until Friday. I sustained a lumbar sprain from the impact and my job requires me to have a vehicle. I do not have any money for another down payment as I just purchased the car that was totaled on 06/29/12. If I do not have a vehicle I cannot do my job which puts me at jeopardy of losing my job which is unfair because she was at fault. What are my legal options in dealing with the insurance company?

Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
It all depends on the language of the policy.
Look at the insurance policy. Usually not more than 30 days.
Normally, the company will provide a rental car until they make a settlement offer. Once they have made a settlement offer, they take the position that you should use the money to replace our car. Legally, there is some question as to whether they are required to provide a rental car at all when a car is totaled. Some case law states that a rental car must be provide for a reasonable time to repair the car, but if the car is totaled, there is no obligation for this.
Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
Whose insurance company is telling you the rental ends Friday? Were you upside down on your car that was totalled? i.e. owed more than the value or more than you got for the total settlement? If this person had insurance, the liability portion should cover all loses caused by an accident, including loss of wages, rental (over and above rental allowance by your own insurance) bodily injury and pain and suffering. Your insurance could be paying for a rental, and they have a right to limit that to what you contracted for.
They should provide you with a rental car from the day of the accident until the day they give you a check when they total your car.
    Your policy will specify how many days they will pay for your use of a rental car.
    Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP
    Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP | Kevin Habberfield
    Your insurance company will provide you a vehicle for as long as it says in your policy. Typically it's a dollar amount and time. For example, up to $900.00 in rental. Once that money is gone they will not pay anymore. This should give you sufficient time to get a replacement vehicle via your own insurance or from a person that struck you (if that happened). If it doesn't, you can rent a vehicle and pay on your own and then recover from the person you hit you (again, if that happened) the amount you paid for the rental. If no one struck you, you need to get a replacement vehicle before your rental policy is tapped or you will be paying out of pocket. Don't forget, you can always borrow a friend's car too. Good luck.
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
    Typically the liability insurance carrier will offer a rental car for a "reasonable time." If that time limit expires, I would suggest contacting your own insurance carrier to see if you have rental car coverage. Also, check to see if you purchased GAP coverage on the car that was totaled. There may be a few other options as well but those depend on a variety of other factors.
    If your car is a total they owe the fair market value today, now. They should pay you today and you give the rental back. Has nothing to do with injury what is the problem about being paid the FMV today if they pay you FMV they do not owe you a rental any longer.
    Victor Varga | Victor Varga
    Depends on what your policy says.
    What does your insurance policy provide.