How long does a blood test result for a DUI take? 9 Answers as of July 02, 2013

I got my DUI on 01/21/2012 and went to court on 04/06/2012. They told me that they haven't got my test results yet. How long does it take?

Usually about a month.
Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman
Law Office of Brian K. Wanerman | Brian K. Wanerman
It varies by county. Here in Sacramento it is taking longer and longer due to budget and staffing cuts at the crime lab.
If you are extraordinarily lucky, forever, because without results the DA might drop the case. More likely, you'll get a letter notifying you of your next court date. Can't predict how long that will take. When that happens, you can fight the charges. When arrested or charged with any crime, the proper questions are, can any evidence obtained in a test, search or confession be used against you, can you be convicted, and what can you do? Raise all appropriate defenses with whatever witnesses, evidence and sympathies are available for legal arguments, for evidence suppression or other motions, or for trial. If you don't know how to represent yourself effectively against an experienced prosecutor intending to convict, then hire an attorney that does, who will try to get a dismissal, diversion program, charge reduction, or other decent outcome through plea bargain, or take it to trial if appropriate.
Hammerschmidt Broughton Law
Hammerschmidt Broughton Law | Mark A. Broughton
It may depend on the jurisdiction, and what they're testing for (drugs, alcohol), but blood test results are usually returned within 4-6 weeks. I have seen them take upwards of a year, but that was an unusual situation.
Almost three months is a bit long, you're right. However, the labs are notoriously slow with these results. The good thing about a blood sample is that you can pay a couple of hundred bucks to another lab to retest the sample and it almost always comes back with a different result. Even if the second result is not an improvement, you can choose not to disclose this or use it as an evidence that the sample is unreliable.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    It can take a long time.
    It is not unusual for the blood test not to be ready at your arrangement. However, it should not take over 6 weeks to get it done.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    Depends on county lab performing the analysis. Most are normally done within 30 days from arrest.
    A few weeks tops. You need to hire a DUI specialist, who can file a motion to have the whole case dismissed. Your speedy trial rights were not exercised, they probably tricked you into waiving time each time in court.