How long do you have to be married to fix your immigration papers? 4 Answers as of May 19, 2011

We have been together for two years and have 3 months of marriage. We have a 4 month old baby.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You can do it right now if the noncitizen came to the US with a visa. If not with a visa, then a form I-130 needs to be filed and approved. When approved, it will be sent to the National Visa Center for processing and you will have to wait until that visa becomes available in order to file for his/her immigrant visa. The NVC will let you know when that time is or you can check it on the visa bulletin on the web: Good Luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/19/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
There is no minimum time you have to be married to be petitioned. Your spouse can file the petition now.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/18/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
There is no time limit. Your spouse can file a green card application for you on the day you are married. Have your case fully analyzed by a competent immigration attorney to make sure you are not barred for some reason.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/18/2011
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
I do not understand your question. By fixing your papers, do you mean getting a green card? To obtain a green card through marriage you would need to be married to a US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident. There is no time frame on the marriage. However, whether you would qualify to adjust status or go through the consular process depends on several factors including the method of entry. If you are asking in regard to naturalization, you can apply after three years of marriage. If you have any other questions, feel free to give me a call at or email me. content and subject should not be modified, otherwise your answer will not be valid.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: