How long do judgments stay on my credit report and will they ever come off? 8 Answers as of September 12, 2013

I have three judgments against me dated 2006 on my credit report. I don't have the money to pay them. Is filing bankruptcy the only protection from these creditors or can they pursue me indefinitely?

Utah Bankruptcy Law Advocates PC | Linda D. Smith
Judgments in Utah are good for eight years, but they are renewable for an additional eight years and so on and so forth. They could keep the judgments alive forever. Will they bother, who knows? It depends on the amount and the creditor. If you file for bankruptcy relief the judgments will be discharged, no longer available for renewal. You credit will only get better too. There are many other issues you need to address before making a decision though.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
The judgment themselves are valid anywhere from 10 to 20 years, depending on the state you live in. Once that date expires the attorney can motion the court or file another action to renew and enforce collection of the judgment. With respect to the credit reporting, a judgment can stay on there for 10 years.
Armstrong Kellett Bartholow P.C.
Armstrong Kellett Bartholow P.C. | Gary Armstrong
That's two questions. How long on the credit report is typically 7 or ten years, depending. How long they can collect is forever if they do it right.
Judgment is valid for 7 years and then can be renewed by creditor for another 7 years. Bankruptcy would stop any future collections.
MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
Judgments are good for 20 years and can be renewed. Bankruptcy will discharge the judgments with certain exceptions.
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    Once a creditor has a judgment he can try to collect. If the judgment is about to expire after time, he can file to renew the judgment and continue to tr to collect. If he fails to renew the judgment then it will lapse. They do not fail to renew very often.
    SmithMarco, P.C.
    SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
    10 years from the date of the judgment.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, a judgment may be reported on your credit report for 7 years after entry. Under Illinois law, a judgment may be enforced for approximately 20 years, but must be revived after 7 years. I say "approximately" because revival or collection proceedings commenced within the 20 years but concluded afterwards may extend the period.