How long do I need to live in the United States to apply for residency? 3 Answers as of August 01, 2011

For how long do I have to live in the US to be able to apply for residency or citizenship or the green card? Does it matter if I've been living here illegally for about 3 years or not? But all in all I've been living here for over 11 years?

Time in the US may not be the only reason to apply for any benefit.
There is no law that allows you to file for permanent residence based solely on time in the US. You can only file for permanent residence if you have a family-based or possibly and employment-based petitioner. Consult with an immigration attorney.
There is no time limit. If you have no status in the US, it is very difficult to obtain a green card. If you are married to a USC, have an asylum claim that is timely filed, were a victim of a crime, this person may be able to file now. However since you are out of status in the US, you need to have a full consult with a competent immigration attorney to ensure that you are not barred from applying and that you choose the option that is best for your situation.