How long do I need to keep reporting my DUI on job applications? 6 Answers as of July 19, 2012

I had a DUI in 2010. How long do I need to keep reporting this on job applications that don't require driving an employers vehicle?

Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC
Cornish, Crowley, Rockafellow, & Sartz, PLLC | Jacob Peter Sartz IV
You will need to keep reporting as long as you are asked about your prior criminal history. If they have a cut-off date, i.e., any convictions within the last ten years for example, and if a conviction was twelve years old at that point, then perhaps you could keep a conviction after their cut-off date from the application. However, an OUI conviction will show up in your traffic and criminal history for a very long time. Currently, there is no way to get a conviction for an OUI off your record in Michigan unless you were successfully able to go back to the original case and somehow get that dismissed because of legal errors regarding those proceedings. There is no current way to expunge an prior OUI conviction through the more traditional methods in Michigan. I'd recommend you obtain counsel to assist you with this matter. You have a right to counsel and should not be afraid to exercise that right. If you cannot afford to retain a lawyer, the court may appoint you one at the public's expense.
If it is a question on the application, then you keep reporting it. It does not go away, and you do not want to be denied a job because you lied and said you had no priors on an application. I hope that this was helpful.
Kevin Bessant
Kevin Bessant | Kevin Bessant
A DUI conviction is still a misdemeanor (or in some cases a felony) conviction that will appear in background checks performed by a majority of employers in today's market. On most applications, you will be asked to state whether or not you have been convicted of a crime. If you fail to disclose the 2010 conviction, and the background check later discloses the conviction, this gives your employer grounds to terminate you. My advice is to always disclose the conviction truthfully, but if asked later asked about it, or if you have to explain the conviction on your application, explain the circumstances and show your potential employer how much you have grown and matured since that experience and how you can still be a viable member of their company.
James M. Osak, P.C.
James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
DUI stays on your record FOREVER! If you report it OR don't report it is up to you.
Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
DUI is a criminal misdemeanor that will remain on your record forever. If you are asked if you were convicted of a crime, you must answer yes.
    Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C. | Gary A. Russell
    I am unaware of any law that requires you to disclose your conviction on an application for employment. However, if the application asks for criminal charges or convictions and you do not respond truthfully, that would be grounds for termination in the event you were hired, or may be the reason why they do not hire you at all. Criminal convictions are a matter of public record and most employers perform background checks that include a criminal history search. So you answer or not answer at your own peril.