How long do I have to wait to get my felony expunged or sealed? 4 Answers as of July 11, 2013

I was offered a plea deal of attempted possession of a weapon in the second degree, which I believe is a class D felony.. The incident happened 10/2008 and I was sentenced 2/2009 and I was given 5yrs of Probation plus 100 hrs of community service.. Now I am curious to know how much longer will I have to wait to see if I can get my conviction sealed/expunged.. I also received my certificate of relief but it doesn't really guarantee results especially when it comes to employment. And I am attending college for dental hygiene not too sure how I'll get far with a felony on my record.

Generally there is no set time period but I do not think an court would expunge the conviction until after the sentence ( probation ) is completed because if you get into trouble while on probation then you can be charged with the underlying crime and a violation of probation.
You will have to wait until New York passes an expungement statute since only a few states allow it and only under certain circumstances. Until then your will always have a criminal record and the certificate is almost useless. You are better off starting your business, there is a lot more money to be made that way as opposed to working for someone else and more freedom to do what you want when you want.
Unfortunately there is no such thing as expunging under New York law.
Palumbo and Kosofsky | Michael Palumbo
It's my understanding that the best you can do is get a certificate of disability from relief there is no such thing as an outright expungement. You would need to have an attorney review the file and move the trial court to vacate the plea and dismiss the charges on some legally sufficient ground.