How long do I have to wait for my immigration petition to go through? 6 Answers as of January 17, 2011

I made my application in November 2006 but I am still waiting from the green card. I would like to know, how long do I still have to wait? My father is petitioning me.

Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
The only way to know is by checking the visa bulletin with the department of state.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
The length of time you will wait depends on the category. You have not indicated your age or whether your father is a Lawful Permanent Resident or a U.S. citizen. Below is the visa bulletin for January of 2011. This bulletin is issued monthly and found on the Department of State website. If you know your category, you simply look at the date listed to determine whether your priority date (the date the petition was filed) is current.

Also missing in your post are important facts regarding whether you can even apply for permanent residence here and whether you would face statutory bars if you go to the embassy. If your date is current, you should consult with an immigration attorney on these issues.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
You have not stated your immigration preference status. That information is necessary to answer your question.

You can look at this State Department link to see the current processing dates.

Make sure you have a current address on file. The Visa Center is very prompt about notifying you as soon as a visa is available for you.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
The answer depends on whether or not your father is a Citizen or a resident and whether or not you are in the US.
    Unfortunately, you did not provide enough information. Is your father aUS Citizen or a Legal Permanent Resident? Are you over or under 21years of age? Are you married or single? What country were you bornin?

All of these questions must be answered to determine how long it takes from when a petition is filed until when you can apply for your Green Card.