How long do I have to wait before I can get married again? 32 Answers as of June 13, 2011

Are there any laws stating how long I have to wait to get remarried after a divorce? I am getting ready to leave my husband.

You can get remarried the day that the Court enters your divorce Judgment in its official records. If you want to get remarried, you needn't wait if you don't have to. However, the Court will not grant a divorce Judgment until at least six (6)months after your husband is served with the Summons and Petition in your divorce case.
Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
In Washington State, there is no waiting period to remarry after the divorce is final. There is however a waiting period ("cooling off period") from the latter of the date of filing and service on the other spouse. That waiting period is 90 days.
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
You must wait until your divorce is final, but there is no waiting period after the divorce is final. You may get married the day after the court enters judgment on your divorce. In California, the soonest a divorce can be final is 6 months and 1 day after the responding party has been served.
In Texas, you have to wait 30 days from the date the divorce is complete. The exception is if you get a Judge to issue a waiver. This waiver cannot be issued until the divorce is complete.
Law Office of Karen A. Clark, L.L.C.
Law Office of Karen A. Clark, L.L.C. | Karen A. Clark
You must wait for your divorce/dissolution to be final before you can remarry. The dissolution process can be completed in as few as 90 days after filing the Dissolution Petition.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    You can get married again as soon as your first marriage is dissolved. Your marriage is dissolved when the judge signs your decree of dissolution. At least in WA, if the judge signed the decree on Monday, you could get married on Tuesday.
    Seattle Divorce Services
    Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
    There are no restrictions under Washington law on remarrying once you are divorced.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    You are entitled to remarry as soon as the judge signs your judgment of dissolution of marriage (divorce).
    Clearly, in Georgia, you must wait until after the divorce decree is final, but I would recommend that you consult with a divorce lawyer in your community about all your rights and options. Good luck!
    As soon as you are divorced you are free to remarry.
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
    After the divorce is final, you can get married at any time you want.
    The moment your divorce is final (the court "enters judgment" of dissolution), you can get remarried, if you think that's the prudent thing to do. I.e., there's no law against getting remarried the day after your divorce is final. Keep in mind that it takes 6 months to finalize a divorce. I.e., once the "respondent" is served with the divorce petition, there is a waiting period (with a few exceptions) of 6 months before a court will finalize a divorce (enter judgment).
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    In Utah, once it is final you are good.
    Yes. The divorce order states that if the parties wish to remarry someone else, they are permitted to do so, if I recall correctly after 60 days. If the divorce is by agreement, that is the quickest way to a resolution, and the court can sign the decree after 30 days from the date of filing to allow the parties an opportunity to reconcile. Stay well.
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
    Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
    The same day you are divorced you can get remarried, if you really want to.
    In Washington you can get remarried as soon as you are divorced. You can't get divorced until 91 days after you petition.
    Wolverine Law | Stuart Collis
    In Michigan, you can get married the day after (or likely even the minute after) you get divorced.
    Law Office of James Lentz
    Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
    You can get married the second after the ink dries on the order of divorce from the court in Ohio. Some states may make you wait a few days. Contact the marriage license division of your local government for further information.
    You can get remarried the same day that the divorce is final and your marital status is terminated. If you are in my area and are looking for an attorney, please contact me for a free consultation.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    In Georgia, you can remarry immediately after your divorce is final.
    In Georgia you can remarry 1 second after the divorce is final.
    441 Legal Group, Inc.
    441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
    No there is no such law. You could get remarried the same day of your divorce.
    Brian Walker Law Firm, P.C.
    Brian Walker Law Firm, P.C. | Brian Walker
    Your divorce from a prior spouse need only be completed so that you can marry again. In the states of Washington and Oregon, this means that your final decree must be signed by a judge and filed with the court.
    The English Law Firm
    The English Law Firm | Robert English
    Once your divorce judgment is granted, you can remarry immediately. However, in California, you must wait at least six months from the time the action is filed and served before you can get the status of divorce.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney