How long do I have to sue someone after a dog bite? 41 Answers as of July 12, 2013

What is the time frame in which I can sue someone from injuries from a dog bite? I have had attorneys look into it and the dog owner has no assets, however I am looking to recover some of medical bills through small claims.

Law Office of Dewey N. Hayes, Jr., PC
Law Office of Dewey N. Hayes, Jr., PC | Dewey N. Hayes
2 years in Georgia, but dont wait. See a pi lawyer asap.
Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC
Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC | Sam L. Levine
In Georgia, you have two (2) years and in some cases a little longer depending upon whether there was a court hearing. However, you always want to assert your claim as soon as possible so that you do not run into a statute of limitations problem. Good luck.
Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law
Howard W. Collins, Attorney at Law | Howard W. Collins
You have two years, barring any special circumstances that could shorten it.
The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.
The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C. | Josh Lamborn
Generally the statute of limitations on personal injury cases is 2 years from the date of incident. That is not to say that you should wait 2 years to contact an attorney though. I often have people approach me within a couple months of the SOL and they want me to take their case. Most attorneys will avoid taking cases so close to the SOL because of the potential to commit legal malpractice and because there is insufficient time to properly investigate the claim. If you are only going to proceed through small claims on your own, the same SOL applies and if I were you I would just file as soon as possible.
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
In Missouri you have 5 years. However, I would encourage you to speak to an attorney very quickly. They can begin an investigation into the dog, get animal control records, try to find witnesses and the like. These things get harder to do as time passes. They can also make sure that you are getting appropriate treatment. If you handle your medical treatment the wrong way you can screw up the case.
    2 years.
    Generally, the statute of limitations is 3 years on any negligence action from the time of the incident to the time you or your attorney files for an Index number on the matter in the County Clerks office of your county. To file you will need a Summons and Complaint prepared and your attorney will be leaving a copy in the Clerk's office. I suggest you speak to a negligence lawyer right away so they have the time to prepare the necessary papers to get it done in time. Plus, you should know that not every dog bite is actionable, so you'll need to talk to a knowledgeable negligence lawyer to see if you have a good case or not. Good luck.
    Law Offices of Earl K. Straight
    Law Offices of Earl K. Straight | Earl K. Straight
    The statute of limitations in Texas for this type of claim is two years from the date of the injury.
    David Hoines Law
    David Hoines Law | David Hoines
    in Fla, 4 years from date of bite.
    Daniel Hoarfrost, Attorney at Law
    Daniel Hoarfrost, Attorney at Law | Daniel Hoarfrost
    In Oregon, the statute of limitations for an injury claim is 2 years from the date of the bite.
    Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
    Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
    The CA Statute of Limitations for personal injuries is two years from the date of the injury.
    Deal & Hooks, LLC
    Deal & Hooks, LLC | Shawn P. Hooks
    In Ohio you generally have two years from the date of the injury to file a suit. This can be extended in rare circumstances. You should consult an attorney to discuss your rights and how to proceed.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    Usually 2 years from the date of the incident.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A. | Lawrence A. Ramunno
    Each State is different, but normally 2 years. You should discuss with an attorney in your State.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC
    Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC | Paul S. Bovarnick
    In Oregon, 2 years. The statute of limitations may be longer or shorter in other states.
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm | Francis Hajek
    Dog bite cases fall into the category of personal injury or tort cases. The time frame to bring a law case or technically, the statute of limitations, varies from state to state. In order to let you know how long you have to file your case, I need to know where the dog bite happened.
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    You have two years from the date of the attack to file suit in a court of competent jurisdiction
    Law Offices of Steven R. Kuhn & Associates
    Law Offices of Steven R. Kuhn & Associates | Steven R. Kuhn
    2 years from the date of injury. Does the dog owner have homeowner's insurance. That would cover them for a dog bite claim.
    Under New York law you generally have three years to sue a private party for personal injury damages.
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
    Generally, in Ohio you have two year from the date of the incident; however, this time limit may vary depending on the nature of the incident and the parties involved (e.g. minors). You may also want to consider applying for victims of crime assistance.
    That would be 3 years.
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    Individual states have statutes of limitation with various time limits for the bringing bof certain action, including personal injuries. In Indiana, the statute of limitation for personal injury claims is two years.
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC | Eddie W. Wilson
    Two years for personal injury in Virginia.
12 3 4 5 6 7 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney