How long do I have to move out once my house is in foreclosure? 3 Answers as of August 03, 2011

once your house is up for foreclosure and the sale date has past, how long do they give you to move out?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
The time you must leave your premises will be dictated by the foreclosure documents and the parties handling the foreclosure (i.e. lender, bank and attorneys). The time will depend on many factors but the right thing to do is at the time demanded for vacating the house. On the other hand, it is become a habit of some people to remain in the house as long as they can milk it. I would not recommend this course of action due to many reasons legal and moral.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/3/2011
The Law Offices of Mark Wm. Hofgard, Esq.
The Law Offices of Mark Wm. Hofgard, Esq. | Mark Hofgard
The answer depends on the internal policies of the party that foreclosed, and how quickly they want the property back. After you are served with a notice to vacate and a county court unlawful detention summons and complaint, you be required to appear or answer within a week, and go to hearing soon after that (usually another week). If you have valid defenses to the foreclosure - the foreclosure is defective, invalid, or there are other legal reasons to set it aside - you may actually buy much more time by filing an Answer, Counterclaim, and requesting transfer to the District Court. Do not do this, however, unless you have valid defenses and counterclaims, for attorneys fees and costs can be awarded against you. You should consult with an attorney to understand whether the foreclosure is valid, and whether you have defenses to the foreclosure.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 8/3/2011
Ryan Legal Services, Inc.
Ryan Legal Services, Inc. | Kevin Ryan
depends on the County you live in and the volume of foreclosure filings. Check your county Clerk's office to see if they have a required mediation program, and file the written Request. Also, file an Answer to the Complaint for Foreclosure and appear at all scheduled hearings. Discuss possible loan work-out options with the attorney who appears for the lender. They have authority to negotiate on their client's behalf, subject to the lender's approval.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 8/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: