How long do I have to get medical attention in order to seek a personal injury claim? 6 Answers as of November 25, 2010

I did not have to get medical care for my leg until 8 months after the accident with another driver. Would I be able to pursue a claim for damages now? Do you have to get medical care in a certain amount of time in California like a statute of limitations?

Dack Marasigan, LLP
Dack Marasigan, LLP | Martin E. Dack, Esq
Depends on case by case basis. There is no fixed time.
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert
Law Office of Marc K. Herbert | Marc K. Herbert
There is no limit on the time in which you need to begin medical treatment after an accident.

However, the defense attorney will try to make it look like you weren't really hurt if you "waited" 8 months to start treatment.

The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury case in California is 2 years. You should contact a local personal injury attorney to discuss you legal options with this case.
There is a 2 year statute of limitations.
Law Offices of Geoffrey Nwosu
Law Offices of Geoffrey Nwosu | Geoffrey Nwosu
It is very helpful to your case to receive medical attention immediately after your accident. It is easier for Doctors to relate your injury to your accident. However, it becomes a little difficult to relate the injury to the accident when you went too long. This is not to say that you should not pursue a legal claim. Please call an accident lawyer in your area immediately to discuss your case and see how they can help you. They will conduct research, some kind of investigation, review your facts, and may be refer to a Physician that will be able to help you.

Because of the delay, you probably will do better using an injury attorney to navigate this process with you. We are located in San Jose, California or visit our website.