How long do I have to get the engagement ring back? 6 Answers as of September 23, 2013

My fiance and I broke up 5 years ago. I never asked for the ring back because I was still in love and trying to make it work. I'm moving on now. Is it too late to get it back?

Law Office of William Stoddard | William Stoddard
Sorry yes, the ring was a gift in the first place. Most people when they break up before getting married return the ring, particularly if it was purchased on a loan. But the ring was not a token of the contract you both made to get married. Some people think it is. But it was a gift and if you had wanted it back, you needed to ask when it did not work out, not five years later. Of course, if you still know her and she never wears it or did not use it later for a marriage as a token of that marriage, she might return it if you ask even now, but if she says no. Just chalk it up to experience.
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
You can ask but an engagement ring is usually considered a gift that the recipient need not return.
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
Generally speaking, a breach of contract claim can be brought prior to the expiration of 6 years. However, other specific statutes in your State may vary and/or shorten this time frame. The other things to consider is whether or not written demands were made for the return of the ring; or the simple question of fact: Does she still have the ring?
Yes, it is probably too long, particularly if she sold it.
Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson | Eric Johnson
In Utah, you can't ever get it back unless your former fiancee gives it back. That's right; the law in Utah is that an engagement ring is a gift, not a "trade," so once you give an engagement ring, it's the woman's to keep, if she wants to.
    Most likely, also most jurisdiction treat them as gifts and there is no legal recourse.