How long do I have to file a personal injury suit after being significantly hurt at work? 2 Answers as of April 22, 2011

I lost my finger while working on a car in the office because an engine that was being dropped into a car fell on my finger and I lost part of it. My boss who was operating the engine crane was responsible. He was not paying attention.

Law Office of William R. Falcone, Esq.
Law Office of William R. Falcone, Esq. | William R. Falcone
If you were an employee and were hurt at work by a co-worker also employed by the company then you have a workers' compensation claim. That may be your exclusive remedy. Claims for product liability or negligent conduct must be based upon the conduct of a third party as claims against the employer or fellow employee are barred by the workers comp statute. Now there are exceptions and I strongly suggest that you consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. They can review all the facts of the parties employee employer relationship and dee if there are possible third party claims. They will also determine if there was proper worker's comp coverage in place, and determine if there any applicable exceptions to the rule. With the severity of your injury, you need to do that to be sure you are not giving up rights to a claim. I hope this helps and wish you luck in resolving your legal matter.