How long do I have to be married to a citizen to get a green card? 2 Answers as of April 18, 2011

I want to get married with my boyfriend but I am afraid that me being an immigrant can affect our marriage and our life.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
This depends on whether you came in with inspection? That is to say, whether you are overstaying or you crossed the border. If you overstay, you will have a chance to get green card if you can prove your marriage was not entered into for invading immigration law. Remember, merely a marriage certificate will not satisfy immigration requirement. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/18/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
I am not sure I understand what you are asking me. But let me answer it this way. If you marry a USC, then the law will consider your marriage a "good faith" marriage after 2 years. So, upon marrying a USC, you will receive a 2-year Conditional Green Card that you will have to renew for a 10-year green card providing you are still married to the USC or that you have a compelling reason why the renewal is warranted if the marriage has already ended. I hope this helps. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: