How long can someone pursue a car accident that happened when I was a minor? 19 Answers as of May 27, 2011

When I was 15 my mother was drunk and had me drive her. I ran into a garage and now 6.5 years later are trying to sue. I did spend time in a youth detention for this. I am now in the marines and unable to renew drivers license which I need to do my job. What can I do? How long can they pursue this?

LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
The lawsuit is probably time barred. If they filed a lawsuit then their lawyer must be arguing an exception to the statute of limitations to allow the suit to continue. Definitely worth contacting a lawyer to provide more in depth consultation.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
It depends if a court judgment was rendered against you, could be 10 years.
Dearbonn Law Offices
Dearbonn Law Offices | Ajibola Oluyemisi Oladapo
You need to look closely at the statute of limitations in your state. where I practice, the proposed suit will be statute barred. The statute of limitations for this kind of case in WA is 3 years. It does not appear to me that the statute has a chance of being tolled in this case either.
Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
In IL the statute of limitations for personal injury/property damage for a car accident is 2 years.
Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC
Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC | Sam L. Levine
You typically have two (2) years from the date of the car accident to pursue an injury claim related to a personal injury action like a car accident (in Georgia). My advice, please find a friendly accident attorney promptly that you feel comfortable with & take some time to speak with him or her. Good luck!
    If you are under the age of 19, you can sue, but it is doubtful that you will get want you want.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A. | Lawrence A. Ramunno
    You should discuss with the insurance company who insured the car and /or your mother. It is not clear what state the accident occurred since each state has different statute of limitations. It is also not clear why a civil suit would affect your driver's license. You should discuss with a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    I believe the statute of limitations ran on these matters a long time ago. The longest statute I can think of would be six years and if suit was not filed within that time nothing would save it now. Some people do not understand that a minor may wait until three years after reaching majority to file a suit they have but you must file against minors within the limits prescribed by statute. So, if a suit was not filed within six years from the date of the accident they are out of luck. If negligence is being alleged it would have been a two year statute.
    Not enough info. Why did you lose your license? Were you not insured? If you (your mom)M were insured you should let the insurance co handle the problem. There is a 3 year statute of limitation. Don't know why you would have a problem 6.5 years later.
    You have three years from the time you reach 21 to sue. Consult with a personal injury lawyer immediately. As for your license, that's a different thing entirely and you may not get it back until you're 21 depending upon who issued an Order against you. You may be able to hire an attorney to get you back a limited purpose license to go to and from work, but that may be if until you turn 21. Good luck.
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    They had 4 years to file a lawsuit. As long as they filed the lawsuit within 4 years of the accident then the case could go on forever
    In Florida, the statute of limitations for automobile accidents is 4 years.
    Ackley Law Group, PLLC
    Ackley Law Group, PLLC | Andrew N. Ackley
    Generally, a plaintiff has three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. In some instances, the statute is "tolled," meaning it is extended. For example, if the plaintiff was a minor, the statute is tolled until the plaintiff is 18. He then has three years from his 18th birthday to file. This is not legal advice, but I hope that helps.
    Allegretti & Associates
    Allegretti & Associates | James L. Allegretti
    The action must be brought within 5 years of the occurrence. Once commenced it continues until completed. If a judgment has already been entered, they can continue to try to collect it for 7 years and then it must be revived.
    Unless there is some exception of which I am unaware, they have three years to file suit. Even if the statute of limitations was tolled while you are a minor, it would now be more than three years after you reached the age of majority. In South Carolina, if a wreck is your fault, and you do not pay the damages, regardless of whether a suit is filed, the sate suspends your license. That may be what has happened. If your mother had insurance, the insurance should pay. If you had no license when the wreck occurred, your mother should be liable. You might be able to get the Department of Public Safety to lift you suspension and put it on her.
    They have up to 2 years.
    You should talk to a local lawyer in your home state. They can explain how long they have to file suit.
    Two years from date if injury for a civil claim. However, you add a twist with your incarceration which indicates to me that it may be ordered as restitution. If you are off of probation, and they got no civil judgment, though, I think there is no avenue for them to continue pursuit. Stay well.