How long can someone get for failure to appear for stealing a candy bar? 15 Answers as of October 15, 2012

My daughter's father stole a candy bar in Castle Rock and we live in Pueblo. We called to residual the court date but they got him for failure to appear.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
A failure to appear usually results in a warrant being issued for your arrest. However, sometimes the city will file it as a separate crime, a unclassified misdemeanor which can carry up to 1 year in county jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000 . You should call an attorney and figure out what needs to be done to have the warrant cancelled and the FTA charges dropped.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 10/15/2012
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
If you commit Petty Larceny you can get up to a year, but not for a first offense and certainly not for a candy bar. If you fail to appear the judge will issue a bench warrant and you must appear in court as soon as possible to explain why you failed to appear. He will be allowed to plea to a violation and get a small fine. He must learn to make better decisions in the future since a criminal record can hurt your chances of getting a decent job.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/14/2012
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
He will be arrested for failure to appear in court. The judge will not be looking at the underlying charge, only that he cannot appear in court when directed to do so. Then the judge will ask why is a grown ass man stealing candy bars. If the judge cannot immediately figure out the answer, he will keep him in jail. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 10/14/2012
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
They will probably revoke his bond if he had any or just issue a warrant to hold him for a few hours until a judge can address/scare him.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 10/14/2012
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
Although I am only familiar with Illinois law, if the guy was a first time offender, he has nothing to worry about, but if he has some record, he will probably get out of jail when he reappears, pleading guilty for the time he served in jail. If he has a bad criminal record, he could be facing years in jail. In other words, everything depends on his criminal background.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 10/14/2012
    Michael Breczinski
    Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
    Well in Michigan it is up to the judge. If you walk into the court with a lawyer you are less likely to get time than if they have to pick you up. Here you can get up to 90 days for contempt.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 10/14/2012
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    In Nevada, I would assume that the charge will be for petty theft. Petty theft is a misdemeanor and carries a maximum six month sentence. However, it is unlikely the DA or the City Attorney will seek jail time for the crime unless there is a substantial criminal history of the defendant. Arrangements should be made to either appear in Court to quash the warrant or hire an attorney to quash the warrant. Many times, an attorney can quash the warrant without the defendant having to appear in court. This firm offers free consultations and affordable payment plans.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 10/12/2012
    Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
    Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
    I would need further information to answer. you should hire an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 10/12/2012
    Andersen Law PLLC
    Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
    It really depends on his prior criminal history. The court would have issued an arrest warrant. But it probably only convers Oregon, Washington and Idaho. He will need to deal with the charge but as long as he is in Colorado, he probably won't be arrested.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 10/12/2012
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    For a misdemeanor, the sentencing range is 90 days and/or $1,000. Your husband criminal history, along with the FTA, will determine the sentence he will receive.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 10/12/2012
    Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
    He should surrender in court ASAP and then hire a qualified defense attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 10/12/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney