How long can my husband stay out of the US with his CR1 visa? 4 Answers as of January 05, 2011

I am a USA citizen. My husband got CR1 visa. He was here for 2 week only. Now he went back to his country. He does not want to come back after he got his CR1 green card. Not sure what to do now? How long he can stay outside of USA? Any one can suggest me please? Should I wait for him? He might change his mind because he already has his greencard.

A CR-1 allows one to stay for no more than six months total during the 2-year conditional residency period. And no visit can exceed 90 days in length. For your husband to have decided to refuse to return to America after obtaining his CR-1 indicates that he may have been less than genuine in his motives in marrying you. I would have to know more, but it does not look good.
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
Always best for green card holder to NEVER stay more than 6 months abroad and spend at least 50% of time in the US...However, it seems you need to address a problem other than immigration...
The CR1 green card is a temporary green card for 2 years. If he does not stay in US for 6 months out of a year, he will be seen as having abandoned the green card.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
He can stay out for 11 months 29 days before USCIS can deem that he had abandoned his residency.

However, he should be reminded that his residency is conditional and that you both need to file to have it removed. Therefore if he is not around he reduces his chances of getting his conditional status removed.