How long can ICE hold me before getting deported? 8 Answers as of September 23, 2013

I want to turn myself into ICE for overstaying my f1 visa and I have a criminal conviction in the past but I have never been in removal proceedings and have never had an immigration case. I don't want to stay here anymore and don't care to comeback. I just want to leave but I don't want to be held in lockup for weeks on end. Would I even be held?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
You may be held. Exactly how long will be up to ICE. Your other alternative is to just leave the U.S. and return to your home country.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/23/2013
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
If you have valid passport you can just buy your ticket and leave. No one will hold you if you just want to leave the US (unless you are wanted by law enforcement).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/23/2013
Immigration Law Offices, LLP
Immigration Law Offices, LLP | Fakhrudeen Hussain
If you want to leave, get on the plane and leave, you don't need to call ICE to have you detained.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/23/2013
Katz Law Office, LTD. | Christine M. Contreras
Just leave the United States. You don't need to turn yourself into ICE to depart the country. You can depart at any time.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 9/23/2013
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
It depends on your conviction. They might not hold you at all, and let you leave on your own. Hire an attorney to help you. Also, I am not sure why you would like to turn yourself in, rather than leaving the country, so an attorney's advice that you can get in private is a really good idea in this case.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/23/2013
Click to View More Answers: