How long can I have to file an answer if I get an unlawful detainer in the mail? 2 Answers as of August 14, 2015

If I got unlawful detainer in the mail, do I have 5 days after received it in the mail or after date filed?

Yes, but the fifth day must fall on a normal working day.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
A summons should have been served upon you as well as the complaint. You need to respond to the allegations in the complaint by the date stated on the summons. It is usually not less that 7 days or more than 30 from the date of service. You also should have been personally served with the summons and complaint. What you got in the mail may have been a notice to pay or vacate, or a notice to comply within 10-days, or perhaps a 20-day notice to vacate. If you got it in the mail but did not get served with it personally, or have had it posted in a conspicuous place along with mailing, then it was not served properly according to Washington law and if an eviction suit followed, the court would not have jurisdiction and would dismiss. You should contact an attorney right away who helps tenants in these matter. You could also contact the Northwest Justice Project, or Housing Justice Project and they may also be able to assist you for free or reduced fee.