How long before I can sponsor someone after I get my green card? 5 Answers as of February 21, 2011

I just got my green card two months ago, How long can I hold my green card before I can file for my husband to join me in the US? I got my green card through the American visa lottery.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
If you were married prior to winning the lottery your husband should have been included as a derivative. If married after the lottery or the lottery group you won with has expired, then you can file for his permanent residency anytime.

Yes you can petition for him but he will be in the FB-2a category which has a backlog of visas. As recently as last fall though this category was working on an August 2010 Priority Date (It is now back to January 2008) so definitely file an I-130 for him to get him in the queue and file for your own U.S. citizenship at the soonest date you are eligible (4 years and 9 months after your PR was granted assuming you meet the physical presence and other eligibility requirements). You may also want to look at other nonimmigrant options while he is waiting in the queue.

If you would like a consultation on the facts of your specific case feel free to contact me as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but whatever you pay for the consultation would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for services after the consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/21/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
It does not matter how you receive your green card. You will file petition right away. The real time saver is to work with a lawyer to avoid mistakes because you bear burden to prove your own case. Denials do happen and once they do, you are wasting 2 or 3 years!! You are welcome to contact us for help.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/2/2011
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL
Law Office of Donna Nanan, PL | Donna Nanan
As long as you have a valid green card you can go ahead and file an application for your husband.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/2/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
You may file now. There is a waiting list for spouses of resident aliens, so the sooner you file for him, the sooner he can get here.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/2/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
You can petition your husband immediately once you receive your Green Card. Depending on what country he is from, it will take 3 to 6 years for his priority date to be current so he can immigrant to the U.S.

I assume that you were not married to him before you received your Diversity Lottery visa and that is why he did not apply with you?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/2/2011
Click to View More Answers: