How I can start filling for Bankruptcy if I am out of the United States now? 10 Answers as of February 10, 2011

I would like to file for Bankruptcy but I am out of the States now. How I can start filling? I do have some friend my I can send or file forms so my friend represent me.

You can file while out of the country but there will be a mandatory court hearing coming up quickly. You must return for that.
Your friend would have to have power of attorney to sign the forms for you. The trustee would then have to agree to do your hearing by written questions OR you would have your hearing done at the American Consulate. There is a fee for their services.
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
So long as you are a resident of the United States, you can start the process of filing for bankruptcy, even if you are temporarily out of the country. You can communicate with your attorney by e-mail, fax, phone or regular mail and he or she can prepare all the necessary forms for you. You can review and approve the bankruptcy petition and schedules while you are out of the country. Typically, you are required to appear in person for your first meeting of creditors. Occasionally, exceptions are made for people who are unavailable, such as someone who is in jail and not able to get out to go to the first meeting of creditors. In these cases, The Trustee sends written questions to be answered under oath.

I have personally helped many people begin the bankruptcy process while they are temporarily outside of the Country. If you would like me to help you, please call me.
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law
Gus Johnson Attorney at Law | Gus Johnson
Bankruptcy requires your personal appearance at the meeting of creditors, you could do the filing while out of the country, but you would have to come back for the meeting of creditors.
Answer Applies to: South Dakota
Mettias & Associates
Mettias & Associates | Jimmy Philip Mettias, Esq
Thank you for contacting our firm, METTIAS & ASSOCIATES, regarding your Bankruptcy questions. Should you need to file for Bankruptcy you will need to consult with an attorney to determine where the jurisdiction lies as Bankruptcy is a Federal Matter. Please do not hesitate to contact our office to schedule a FREE consultation to discuss this matter in more detail. We do offer phone consults should that work better for you. Looking forward to speaking with you.
    You can retain an attorney to assist you, but are you only out of the country temporarily or have you moved? You must be a resident of the jurisdiction where you file to proceed.
    The Pedigo Law Corporation
    The Pedigo Law Corporation | Brian T. Pedigo, Esq.
    A friend cannot represent you in bankruptcy. A lawyer can file on your behalf, but you will have to review and sign all documents in the petition.
    You need to give a lot more information. Do you live outside the US? How long you been living outside the US? When do you intend to return to the US? Do you have any property in the US such as a house or bank account? Do you claim residence somewhere in the US? Do you file state income taxes somewhere? Hold a drivers license in some state? A lot more information is required to answer your question. You will have to attend a meeting creditors somewhere in the US. Your friend cannot represent you. Only a lawyer can represent you and you have to personally attend the meeting of creditors to answer questions under oath. There are exceptions for military personnel in combat zones and some U.S. government employees.
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law | Judith A. Runyon
    No, a friend cannot file for you.
    Srai Law Office
    Srai Law Office | Gurjit Singh Srai, Esq.
    In order to get a discharge in bankruptcy, you must attend a 341 debtor/creditor meeting. At this meeting a trustee will ask you questions under penalty of perjury about your assets and debts. Personal presence is required unless you are in the military, in that case you have to request a special telephonic appearance.