How far do trustees look at a person’s medical record during a bankruptcy? 24 Answers as of February 25, 2014

Do trustees look at a person's medical records during a bankruptcy (7 or 13) case? How far do they go back? Years?

Why would the trustee care about your medical records? I cannot answer this without knowing why they want to look at them.
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
I have never known a trustee to review medical records. Unless it has some bearing a debtors ability to present a feasible plan in a chapter 13 case I don't see why the would do so.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
The vast majority of trustees are not concerned with your medical records and may not be entitled to them unless the condition was a result of an accident that gives you a right to sue for damages.
In my experience the trustee spends very little time looking at medical records of the debtor.
R. Steven Chambers PLLC | R. Steven Chambers PLLC
I have never known a bankruptcy trustee to look at medical records. Why do you think they would?
    I have never had a Trustee look at medical records. They sometimes ask when the medical bills were incurred and why, but that is usually the extent of the inquiry.
    Medical records are confidential and a bankruptcy trustee isn't interested in anyone's medical history except as it may relate to a personal injury lawsuit.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    Trustees have no access to your medical records, as it relates to a bankruptcy petition.
    Hoang & Tran PLLC | Adam Tran
    They are not concerned with the record itself, but the debt from the medical treatment. It's best to list it as a creditor.
    Generally no, unless there is a possible lawsuit involved.
    Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
    Unless there is some reason to look at medical records, that is not part of your bankruptcy disclosures. The Trustee may look at medical bills and inquire as to the reason for the medical bills to determine if you have a right to sue anyone.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Law Office of Mark B. French
    Law Office of Mark B. French | Mark B. French
    You have not provided a lot of detail, but generally the Trustee would not review a debtor's medical records. I suppose that the Trustee could do that if there was a reason to do so. I would not expect that a Trustee would review medical records.
    Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC
    Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC | Mark Cherry
    I have never seen a trustee look into a medical record unless to follow up on investigation of a possible or pending lawsuit that may yield money to the bankruptcy creditors.
    They usually go back about three years for everything.
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    Yes, they can look back quite some time to see if there is a possible PI claim involved.
    Law Office of Shawn N. Wright | Shawn N. Wright
    I have never had a bankruptcy trustee look into a client's medical records. On Schedule F (unsecured creditors), we simply list all of the medical debts that have been incurred. And on Schedule J (itemization of expenses), we put down a total of the estimated out-of-pocket expenses that are incurred in an average month (doctor co-pays, prescription co-pays, along with an average for vision and dental services that might be paid out throughout a year). But as for a trustee actually examining someone's medical records, I have never seen or heard of that happening.
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    Your question doesn't really make sense. Why would the trustee be interested in your medical record? The only thing I can think of is if it has to do with your schedule J expenses or with passing the means test. If you can provide a little more background it would be helpful.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    No, there is no reason for a trustee to look at a debtor's medical records.
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    Normally the trustees do not go into that much depth unless there is something really suspicious in your paperwork. Even if they ask for documentation, they're not looking for anything other than verification of the expenses. So they would probably allow you to redact any sensitive personal information before handing it over. I have never seen a trustee ask for such information.
    Medical records are not typically reviewed at all. Context?
    Law Office of Robert Sisson | Robert Sisson
    Depends on the bills involved.
    Law Offices of Patrick Edaburn | Patrick Edaburn
    Generally speaking they do not go back and research but your comment suggests you have something you don't want them to know. Be aware that fraud in a bankruptcy (which would include hiding information they ask for) is a federal crime. 99% of the time the thing you worry about turns out to be no big deal, but never ever lie to the court.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    I don't think a chapter 7 or 13 trustee would have any reason to ever look at a debtors medical records.
    Idaho Bankruptcy Law | Paul Ross
    I have never had a Trustee look into a persons medical record. I am not sure what reason there would be to look at it. Unless there was some type of accident or injury that could be litigated to bring money to the estate. Even then, it would be through typical discovery and a lawsuit, not just in the Trustee asking about medical history.