How far away can I move with my kids after a divorce? 4 Answers as of September 18, 2013

I have 5 kids. After a divorce, can I move from San Diego to the Bay Area? If not, how far away would be permitted?

The Goldberg Legal Group
The Goldberg Legal Group | David Goldberg
It will depend on what your judgment states in regards to custody of your children. If you have joint legal custody and joint physical custody then you may be restricted to the county you are located. If you have sole physical custody and sole legal custody you should be able to move more easily. However, most cases are unique so it is recommended that you speak to an attorney about your specific situation.
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
Your divorce papers will tell you how far you can move and whether or not you need permission from your ex depending on the legal custody arrangement, contained in the Judgment.
Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
Work it out with dad. Otherwise he may interfere if you go more than 45 miles.
LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
You will need to file for a hearing to get permission to move to the Bay Area. You could move within San Diego County but if the kids have to change schools and you have joint legal custody, you need permission to change the kids' schools.