How expensive will it be to get a divorce from my husband? 9 Answers as of April 15, 2011

I want to divorce my husband of 17 years in California, but he is refusing to cooperate. I have two children at home that are a result of our marriage. I do not know what I can do to start. What do I do and what will this cost?

Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law
Edwin Fahlen Attorney at Law | Edwin Fahlen
The cost of a divorce is directly related to how much arguing there is. An uncontested dissolution with children can be as low as $3,000.00. A bitter dissolution can run $50,000.00 very easily, and it is common to run up to $150,000.00 when there are substantial assets and the parties act unreasonably.
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
It is impossible to tell you up front how much a divorce will cost you. In some cases he will pay your fees in others he will not. It also depends on the hourly rate of the attorney you hire and how soon you reach a settlement. Typical divorces cost between $2,000 and $20,000, but there are also cases that cost much more. You need to have a consultation with an attorney to discuss your specific facts and game plan to start assessing the cost.
Maclean Chung Law Firm
Maclean Chung Law Firm | G. Thomas MacLean Jr.
If you're not sure what to do, an attorney can help you begin your divorce and file your petition for you. The cost and legal fees can depend on the specific facts of the case and what you want to request as part of the divorce, so you should consult with an attorney to get a better idea of what it will cost. many family law attorneys offer free initial consultations. Feel free to also contact our office if you would like to discuss this matter with one of our attorneys.
It isn't possible to estimate the costs of a divorce (I assume you mean the cost of representation) in a vacuum. I would be happy to discuss representation with you. If you are in my area and are looking for an attorney, please contact me for a free consultation.
Family Law Attorneys charge an hourly rate for their fees, so it is impossible to determine at the outset just how much an attorney would charge to handle your divorce. Typically, Family Law Attorneys charge an up-front retainer, which would be based on the complexity of your case. There are many factors involved in a divorce that a Family Law Attorney would need to evaluate, in an effort to provide even a rough estimate how much the divorce would cost, including what your husband does for a living, how much he earns, what you do for a living, how much you earn, what property and other assets were accumulated during the marriage, whether or not there would be a child custody battle, as well as other facts that are specific to your marriage.

Also, how your husband and/or his attorney respond to a divorce case and what they do in that case can affect the cost of the case.

If your husband earns significantly more than you do, you may be entitled to an award of Attorney's Fees in the case, but Attorney's Fees would have to be properly sought. You should interview and consult experienced Family Law Attorneys regarding the specifics of your marriage, and they will advise you of their hourly rates and the amount of their retainer fees. Any estimate they would give you of the cost for your divorce would just be a rough guess.
    The cost of a divorce depends on many things, including the hourly rate of your lawyer, and the level of dispute with your spouse. I.e., a divorce where the parties are able to cooperate and reach agreements will be less expensive than a divorce where the parties and their lawyers battle everything out.

Also, not all lawyers are created equal, nor is there a standard hourly rate that attorney's charge.

The hourly rate generally varies between $200 an hour up to $400+ an hour. Although the concept of "you get what you pay for" may have some relevance, there are many qualified attorneys that don't charge an exorbitant rate.

As when hiring any professional, shop around and call each one to get an idea of what they charge, how competent they are with the issues involved in your case, and whether you trust them to be fair with their bills. Good luck!
    Hale Law Group
    Hale Law Group | Joshua D. Hale
    Most of what a divorce costs depends on the spouse and their attorney. I have had divorces cost as low as 2500$ and as high as 50,000$. You need an attorney immediately. Your husband will likely have to pay child support, as well as alimony. You should call my office immediately, I have helped many people get through this tough time.
    Law Office of John C. Volz
    Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
    The fees for a divorce vary on a case by case basis, depending on what issues are in dispute. Please feel free to contact our office for a consultation so that we can better assist you.