How does a step parent adopt their step child? 1 Answers as of January 26, 2017

I had a child with another woman (ex-girlfriend). My ex-girlfriend wants nothing to do with the baby and he is living with me and my wife now. My ex wants to sign over her rights and my wife wants to adopt the child as her own. My name is on the birth certificate. How much of a process is it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
You'll need to do a termination of parental rights petition and a stepparent adoption petition. The fact that there is consent by the bio mom helps make this go a lot faster but to be certain that you do this right you should retain the services of an experienced family law attorney in this field.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/26/2017
Click to View More Answers: