How does one stop wage garnishment? 10 Answers as of May 28, 2015

I want to find the easiest way to settle my wage garnishment. I want to get it down to a reasonable amount and not just 10% off. Is bankruptcy the best way? Would I owe nothing if I filed for bankruptcy? Or would I be able to pay a fair settlement and then file for Chapter 11 or 13? Thanks.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
You have to file BK to stop a wage assignment. Most creditors who have gone to the trouble of suing you, getting a judgment, and now are garnishing your wages are not very open to settlements. They will continue to garnish 25% of your net take home pay until the debt is paid in full! I charge a small fee for a one hour meeting to show you how everything works, and how BK works. I have successfully filed THOUSANDS of BK's, so I know I can help you.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 5/28/2015
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Filing bankruptcy stops any wage garnishment immediately. If you make a settlement agreement, then file bankruptcy within 90 days, the court will probably take back any funds that you paid them because you're not allowed to pick and choose among your creditors.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/27/2015
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Bankruptcy will stop the garnishment unless it is for child or spousal support. Otherwise you will have to work out a deal with the company garnishing you to get ti stopped.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/27/2015
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
A bankruptcy will certainly stop it. Whether or not you need a chapter 7 or 13 may be determined by a competent bankruptcy lawyer.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/27/2015
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
There are only three ways I can think of to get a wage garnishment stopped. The first is to contact the creditor to see whether they will accept a voluntary payment plan. The second is to pay the debt in full (or a negotiated reduced lump sum payment). The third is to file a bankruptcy case. Depending upon how much the debt is for, and whether you have other debts as well, a bankruptcy might be a reasonable option for you. Most bankruptcy lawyers offer a brief initial consultation at no cost - it would be a good idea for you to arrange for a consultation.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 5/26/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    First things first: consult an experienced bankruptcy lawyer. It's almost always worth the investment. Bankruptcy is supposed to stop wage garnishments immediately but it helps to see that your payroll office, the small claims court or whichever branch handles garnishments, and the creditor are given notice of the bankruptcy filing immediately upon filing, since the courts can take four or five days to send out notice. You could also try to contact each of the creditors and see if you can work out some kind of installment payment arrangement, or a discount, or both. It's hard to convince an array of creditors to accept such agreements, but you can try. Good Luck.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 5/26/2015
    A Fresh Start
    A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
    There is no such thing as a best way to stop a wage garnishment. There are a number of choices and each comes with its own price tag. How much is the court judgment that led to the wage garnishment? What type of debt is the judgment for? Without more details, you might as well ask if it is better to order chicken or fish.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 5/26/2015
    Timothy Casey Theisen, P.A. | Tim Theisen
    Not only will you stop the garnishment, and owe nothing by filing bankruptcy, you should also be able to recover what they have taken from you in the last 90 days.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 5/26/2015
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
    If you qualify for bankruptcy, you will not owe any garnishment afterwards.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 5/26/2015
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    You either pay the judgment or your file for bankruptcy protection.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 5/25/2015
Click to View More Answers: