How does one reestablish residency? 3 Answers as of April 16, 2015

I got US residency in 1986 but I’ve been living in Mexico since 1989. I have a social security number. Did I lose my residency? Can I file papers so that I can get back to the US? Can someone go over my papers to fix them?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
There may be more to your situation than is apparent here. So, please get a lawyer to strategize over it.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/16/2015
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
With only a very few exceptions specified in U.S. immigration laws and regulations, Permanent Resident status is for people who permanently reside in the U.S., and an absence many years will result in a legal determination that a person has abandoned his residence in the U.S., has abandoned his Permanent Resident status, and will need to start over with a new application for gaining nonimmigrant or immigrant status.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/15/2015
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
It is likely that you lost your residency if you did not apply for citizenship and your application was granted.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/15/2015
Click to View More Answers: