How does one fight a DUI in a different state? 12 Answers as of June 04, 2015

My BAC was 0.07, so I would like to fight it, but I do not know anything about the laws. Will I have to go there to fight it, or is there a way to do it from here? I was not driving erratically or anything, and I was only pulled over because I forgot to turn my lights on when I got in the car (it was a really short drive back to the hotel). Should I bother trying to fight it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Only a lawyer licensed to practise in the state where the arrest occurred can advise you. The laws differ state by state. So find a lawyer in that state.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/4/2015
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S.
Freeborn Law Offices, P.S. | Steve Freeborn
You will have to go to the state and fight it. If you are convicted in whatever state, the conviction will follow you to this state.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/26/2015
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
Yes, you definitely should fight it because a DUI conviction in another state will be reported back to your home state and your license will be revoked. Hire a DUI attorney who practices in the city or county where you received the out-of-state DUI.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 5/26/2015
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
Hire a DUI attorney from the state where you are fighting the charge. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/26/2015
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
You need to consult with an attorney in the state where you received your DUI and will have to back to that state to fight it.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/25/2015
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    Yes you should try to defend the charge and you can only defend in the state of the offense.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 5/25/2015
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    You should hire a lawyer to go to court. Otherwise a warrant will be issued for your arrest. A lawyer handle the entire case without you present if the underlying charge is a misdemeanor.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/25/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Yes. Hire an attorney and do everything possible to keep this off your record.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 5/25/2015
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    You MUST hire a lawyer in that state - and ASAP because of potential issues with your driver's license. (If you are suspended there, you will be suspended here.) You will likely have to go there to address the charge.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 5/25/2015
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    You will need to get an attorney in the state where you were arrested to defend the case.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 5/25/2015
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    You retain an attorney, and get ready to travel back for jury trial.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 5/25/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!