How does my husband get visitation rights? 4 Answers as of July 07, 2011

My husband found out 5 years ago that he is the father of his ex-gf's boy. He’s fixing to turn 18 and this whole time she has not let him see his son or even sent a pic. He is ordered to pay child support. Even though he does not like dealing with court he’s willing to do so how does he go about getting his visitation rights

Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
He must file a petition with the court to get visitation until 18, but when the child reaches 18 its up to the child if he wants to see his father.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
If the child is about to turn 18, this may not be easy. The child may have no interest in seeing his Father at this point. If this is not the case, the answer is to file a Paternity Action. Unfortunately, this may be dragged out until the child does turn 18 in which case, visitation is completely in the hands of the child. Good luck.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
If the child is getting ready to turn 18, there is nothing that can be done legally. Once the child is 18, he will be considered an adult and not subject to any court orders. There is no reason why he can't contact the child directly and if the child chooses to spend time with him (either before or after he turns 18), then that will be the child's choice. It might be a long hard road, depending on what she has told the boy, but it is definitely worth the effort.