How does a military divorce differ from civilian divorce? 2 Answers as of September 21, 2010

I have been in a military marriage for 12 years. He is a veteran and has been in the Navy for almost 20 years. I know that there are differences in awarding pensions in military marriages. What are the other ways that a military divorce is different from civilian divorce?

Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
They are very similar. The pension and dealing with DFAS is the major difference, but there are other differences as well. If there are issues of custody and visitation is it good to understand how military life works and what is best for the e kids and it is important to know how to read an LES in determining support figures. Consult with an attorney before you do anything. Planning can be very beneficial.
For most purposes it is the same. The state normally will handle the divorce and not the military.