How does he go about dissolving the marriage he had in another state? 1 Answers as of December 15, 2016

My son has lived in the same state for 27 years. A girl he was dating also lived there all her life. They went to another state on a whim and got married in a chapel in 2013 and both came back. They are not together any longer and does not know where she lives and does not have her contact information. They have not been together since 2014. Now, he met a new girl and wants to marry her in 2017. Him nor her were never residents where they got married. They just went on a weekend trip. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
From your question it is unclear where your son presently lives. If he's been residing in California for at least six months and in the county where he intends to file his divorce action for three months, he can file in that jurisdiction and serve his ex-wife. More information is needed. Please have him meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore his options. It takes a minimum of six months from the date that the ex has been served the pleadings to terminate the marriage.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/15/2016
Click to View More Answers: