How does the father of my child sign his rights over and have his name removed from birth certificate? 8 Answers as of May 02, 2014

He wants nothing to do with our child. He also agreed to do this. No one is telling him to do so.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Trendowski & Allen, PC
Trendowski & Allen, PC | Gregory Allen
The way to do this is by filing a voluntary termination of parental rights application with the probate court for the town in which your child resides. Jurisdiction is based off the residency of the child. He will need to sign off on the application. Your child will be appointed counsel by the court, DCF will be asked to investigate the matter and both will report back to the court. It is up to the judge to approve the application. Just because it is a voluntary application does not mean it will automatically be granted. The judge will have to be convinced that granting the application is in the long-term best interests of your child.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 5/2/2014
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
You can file a petition with the Family Court to terminate his parental rights and include his written consent with the final paperwork. The Order from the Judge will include a statement that the name on the birth certificate can be changed. These forms can be found online at the Family Court's website. If you need further assistance, you should consider retaining an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/2/2014
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
No can do unless there is someone else to adopt the child unless you both can show he is not the biological father and the biological father steps forward.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/2/2014
John Russo | John Russo
Well that is simple, your new spouse needs to file a petition for adoption of the child, along with your petition to terminate the fathers rights for abandonment. GOT IT?
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 5/2/2014
Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
In Texas, most courts will not remove a man's name just because he wants it and is not involved in the child's life. You need to talk to a family law attorney in your county. If they terminate his rights and you die, the child will be an orphan. No court wants that to happen. Also, in Texas parents are expected to provide financial support to their children the legislature does not want children to be on food stamps or any other state/federal type of aid.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 5/2/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    Is there somebody willing to step in and take over as dad? Then maybe the court will allow it. Are you able to provide financially without the help of dad. Then maybe the court will allow it. If you are receiving any sort of government assistance, the state will object and the court will not allow it. Please note that in all of these answers, you have to go to court to get his rights terminated. If you really want to do this, talk with a local family law attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
    J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
    He can't. The only way for him to give up parental rights is for the child to be adopted.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 5/2/2014
    Home Town Law, P.A.
    Home Town Law, P.A. | Sabina Tomshinsky
    The father may not just give up his parental rights. There must be someone else ready to take over his parental duties. In other words, the father may give up his parental rights if there is another person ready to adopt the child.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 5/2/2014
Click to View More Answers: