How does a drug possession charge affect my record? 2 Answers as of August 19, 2011

I live in MA and am 18 years old. I was pulled over in friends car in NH. Fully cooperative with officers handed over under 2 grams marijuana. Issued a court summons for misdemeanor marijuana possession. I am freaking out about fines, need for legal representation etc, I am on financial aid will this affect that? I was given a court date in October but will be out of country doing a volunteer internship teaching in Nepal. I just emptied out bank account for plane ticket. What about my record can I get this expunged? How is this going to affect me in the future. Please I need help

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Harden Law Offices
Harden Law Offices | Leonard D. Harden
You can probably continue the case until you return. Generally speaking a MJ charge is a criminal offense in NH. There are ways to get it reduced and hopefully that can be done to avoid future consequences. You should contact a criminal defense lawyer. I would be happy to discuss case and give advice related to your situation.
Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
Replied: 8/19/2011
Watkins Law Office
Watkins Law Office | Bob Watkins
A drug conviction can affect student loans, grants, etc. A lawyer can help. This will cost as well but might help to keep you in school.
Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
Replied: 8/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: