How does a dog bite case get filed in Connecticut? 2 Answers as of April 26, 2011

Is there a way to file a dog bite personal injury case? My daughter at a neighbor’s house playing on a playdate with their children in their yard. Their 10-year-old lab bit her, because they say she stepped on its tail. My daughter has played there for years and never had a problem. She had to go to the doctor's, get stitches and she will have a scar from the injuries.

Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
You can bring a claim for injuries, scarring etc in a dog bite claim, just as you would any other PI claim. The law in Connecticut is pretty straight forward. If a person is bit by a dog and the individual was not a trespasser or provoking the animal, the owner is liable of damages. A child under the age of seven who is bitten is presumed not to be a trespasser or not to have been provoking the dog. If you need further assistance, please feel free to contact me. Best of luck.
There is strict liability (meaning there can be no defense to a dog bite injury) if your child did not "tease, torment or abuse" the dog. It sounds like they claim she was doing one of those prohibited acts, but if she accidentally stepped on its tail that may not rise to the level of being one of those prohibited acts. If you wish to discuss further you can contact us.