How does custody and visitiation work when the parents are both minors? 5 Answers as of July 11, 2013

A girl who is 15 got pregnant by a boy who is 14. The boy's mother wants the girl to get an abortion, but the girl says no. The same mother then wants adoption and the boy agrees. The day the baby is born (baby's mother is now 16) she decides she wants to keep baby. Her mother and mother of baby are now being sued for custody and visitation and to have the last name change of baby. Does Wyoming make the child carry the father's last name? Can a minor be forced to go to court in such a case? The child is now 5 months and we want no part of this family. They have not paid for a single thing and now want custody, etc.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
As your question is based out of Wyoming, I will defer to local counsel to respond.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 7/11/2013
Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
department of children and families, DCF, in Florida must do a case study. your judge may order it. and then the best interest of the children will be determined.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/22/2011
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law
John E. Kirchner, Attorney at Law | John Kirchner
You need to contact an attorney in Wyoming who is familiar with Wyoming law and procedure. Generally, parents who are minors need to have the court appoint a guardian ad litem to advise the court, but the procedures for that are different in each state.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 6/21/2011
Law Office of James Lentz
Law Office of James Lentz | James Lentz
Wow. You are in the early stages of a war of the grandparents. You have my deepest sympathy. You need a domestic relations attorney representing you now. Do not try to represent yourself unless you are a practicing attorney. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 6/21/2011
Beaulier Law Office
Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
Yes, a child that is a parent can be forced to go to court to establish paternity as well as custody, parenting time and child support. Minor or not, a father has rights to establish paternity and to be a parent to that child.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 6/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: