How does child custody work if a family member wishes to get custody and where to start? 3 Answers as of August 19, 2015

If a family member becomes pregnant and wishes to give it to another family member what steps need to be taken? She may have other children and is stretched financially so she knows she may not afford the baby she is pregnant with.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Diane l. Berger | Diane L. Berger
Sounds like a case for an adoption.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 8/19/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You will have to engage an attorney and provide all the details. It is potentially possible that the mother might give up her parental rights and allow an adoption, provided that the father is not interested in his child or the obligations it will bring and therefore would agree to the adoption as well. Other avenues might be guardianship. In any case I cannot give you an opinion without significant additional information.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/19/2015
John Russo | John Russo
You don't give human beings away! Moreover, you are forgetting one very important point, this child has a father whether the family likes him or not and he has parental rights. And the I don't know who the father is argument does not work.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 8/19/2015
Click to View More Answers: