How does the 6th Amendment right to a public trial benefits the accused in a criminal trial? 3 Answers as of December 22, 2014

Every law book I read talks about how this benefits the accused, but does not go into detail as to why. It always seemed to me with the lack of journalistic integrity, and people's assumption that those accused of a crime are automatically guilty. A public trial can hurt the accused more than benefit him.

The idea is that with the trial being public, then the government will not be able to pull as many tricks. It is to put under public scrutiny what the government is doing. It is so that they can't be arbitrary.
While that might be your current opinion, it was certainly not the opinion of the founding fathers and drafters of the Constitution. It was their belief that a public trial meant that the public could observe it and if there was tyrannical and unfair prosecution the public would not allow it.
It's a way of keeping everyone accountable (lawyers, judges, parties, witnesses) because nothing is being done in secret.