How do you respond when the state's deadline is 5 days but the law says you have 30? 4 Answers as of April 20, 2015

I have a Request for Admissions, a Demand for Inspection of Documents and a Form Interrogatories demanding my response within 5 days. Thus us impossible for me to compile and appears also not within the time specified by law which I found to be 30 days. How to I respond to inform of my knowledge of this unlawful requirement and my intent to submit within the legal time frame? Which form do I use? Do I prepare a separate response for each demand? Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
You are correct it is a 30-day deadline, but if it is an unlawful detainer, you have only 5 days. You should contact the other party, or their attorney if they have one, and explain that you need an extension. Unless there is a trial coming up this next week they should grant you an extension for a week, 2 weeks, whatever you can talk them into. If that fails make certain you at least respond to the Request for Admissions, otherwise, they will be deemed admitted if you do not provide responses. Ask for the extension before the 5 days expire and verify that you may also have objections. If you serve the responses late without obtaining an extension you waive all objections.
Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
I assume you are being evicted in which case the response time for interrogatories is 5 days. Evictions, or unlawful detainer actions, are ruled by an expedited calendar so response times are usually shorter. By the time you get this your time will probably already be up! you can answer on regular paper and it is best to give concise truthful answers while being careful to try and not admit to anything that would hurt you at trial. If you don?t know the answer say so and move on. Good luck!
The UD schedule is accelerated hence the 5 days. If you can't do it that quickly, do it as quick as you can and keep a record of the time spent so as to avoid sanctions for missing the deadline.
State law governs the time limits. In an unlawful detainer action, because the matter is heard quickly, in California the time limit to respond is 5 full days after service on you [you get 5 more full days if you are served by mail, and if the 5th day falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday when the court is not open, it is due the next day the court is open]. In all other cases you have 30 days. If the other side sent out the wrong form or stated the wrong number of days, e-mail them that they were wrong and you will comply with the State law once properly served. The same letter can refer to all forms of discovery you received. The other party can give you an extension, but get it in writing. There is no form or specific format to use. If you are a tenant, you should be able to come up with the information within the five days as the information is not that extensive.