How do you respond to a summons? 7 Answers as of September 10, 2013

I was served a summons regarding a foreclosure notice from a collection agency, and I'm required to answer it. My question is, how do I do this? Do I just show up at the clerks office and verbally acknowledge my receipt of the summons? Or should I have a written response prepared?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
The summons should tell you what to do. If you want to keep your house, you need to file a response, either an answer or a motion, probably with the lawyer for the collection agency. I recommend that you get a lawyer to help. If you don?t respond properly, you will probably get a judgment against you.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 9/10/2013
Pelsinger | Kenneth Pelsinger
A summons is not what you answer, its the complaint that is attached. You need to speak with an attorney who will answer the complaint and assert legal defenses and also counterclaim the bank, don't be fooled by people who tell you to just get a form and fill the blanks. You must assert your rights against whomever is suing you, make the bank feel the pressure of a counterclaim.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 9/10/2013
Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC
Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC | Mark Cherry
Usually it requires a written document called an Answer if it is service of a lawsuit. Show an attorney with what you actually received.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 9/9/2013
Janke Legal Consulting | Bruce C. Janke
If you want to oppose the lawsuit, you must file a written response called an Answer, which denies the allegations of the complaint and raises affirmative defenses, if any. You can find a form for an Answer here: You must file the Answer with the court clerk (there is a filing fee) and serve a copy by mail on the plaintiff. You can represent yourself, but it would be best to hire an attorney; or at least hire a paralegal to help you fill out and file the form.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/9/2013
Law Offices of Daniel J Winter
Law Offices of Daniel J Winter | Daniel J Winter
Your best option is to call an experienced bankruptcy and foreclosure attorney to discuss your best course of action. There are ways to respond to the summons, but you want to have a good plan in mind before doing so.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 9/9/2013
Click to View More Answers: