How do you qualify for asylum? 2 Answers as of November 09, 2010

I am a US citizen, and I have family abroad that has undergone severe religious persecution. People threaten them in the streets, and my uncle was badly beaten by a group of fundamentalists. They fear next time will be worse. If we find a way to get them here, what are the chances that they will be given asylum? How does someone qualify for asylum?

Based upon your brief story, I would say that there is a great opportunity for your family to obtain asylum in this country. The bottom line is that they have to 1) show they belong to an identifiable group of people known to experience persecution, creating a substantial fear and reasonable likelihood of persecution, or 2) have personally experienced physical or other mistreatment that would constitute persecution due to membership in an identifiable racial, ethnic, gender, political, or religious class of people. There are at least a couple of options that can be exercised to come into the U.S., but the most simple one is to obtain a travel visa for the family from the local U.S. embassy or consulate, and then upon entry in the United States apply for asylum. If you wish for more consultation, feel free to call or e-mail me for an in-person or phone consultation. Best to you and your family.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
They must enter the US and apply for asylum affirmatively. They will probably first need to obtain a visa to enter the U.S. Then they can apply for asylum after entering the US. Contact my office after their entry if you need someone experienced to prepare their asylum application.