How do we sponsor someone from El Salvador? 2 Answers as of June 28, 2011

My brother-in-law is has been in El Salvador for 1 yr and 8 months trying to get over here. I am thinking of being a sponsor for him to do that. I would like to know what that entails, and what that makes me liable for, should anything present itself. I live in Kansas and am not sure if he would live in Kansas, as I would hope, or if he would live in Nebraska. Please answer me using the worst-case scenario, just so I can make a very informed decision. I only have a couple of days to decide, if I am to get it done before his next appointment, which is on June 30th. Thank you for any information you can provide.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
You may be asked to reimburse the US government for money and services it gives to him if he becomes a public charge to the US government. You can see form I-864 on where it is all spelled out. I find that most new immigrants are pretty hard working. My guess is that you will be fine. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/28/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
You are not allowed to sponsor a brother in law for an immigrant visa. Instead, your wife, (once she is a USC) is able to sponsor him for a green card. That process will take several years however. In terms of your question, it sounds like he has been denied for a visitor's visa several times and probably has another interview for that visa? They want to see that he will return to the US as promised- all consulates are scared that the person will enter the US and not leave, in particular from a poorer country like ES. So he needs to demonstrate strong home ties-ownership of home, car, business, strong financial statements, family, round trip ticket, etc. You can provide the I-1345 form and your financial information, where you promise to support his basic needs in the US, but again, often times, the denial is given because the US consulate is unconvinced of the person's intent to return.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/28/2011
Click to View More Answers: